Course 1: Introduction to Health Care for Immigrant and Refugee Populations
This course prepares physicians and other health care providers to care for immigrants, refugees and other mobile populations.
Estimated Time To Complete
Allow 24.5 hours, including additional time for bonus materials.
This course enables you to:
- Care for a multi-cultural patient population, including treating diseases seen in new arrivals and long-term foreign-born residents.
- Identify key issues in local and global health equity and barriers to care for immigrants and refugees.
- Describe best practices in clinical care and health systems interventions designed to reduce disparities in care and service for immigrants and refugees.
- Discuss how to apply the LEARN model of patient-centered communication to advance care planning and advance directives.
This course is composed of five sections:
- Understanding Globally Mobile Populations
- Clinical Issues in the Care of Mobile Populations
- Health Systems Issues
- Psychosocial Issues
- Cross-Cultural Issues in End of Life and Advance Care Planning (Honoring Choices Across Cultures)
Regular Rate: $795/course
For physicians, physician assistants, nurse practitioners, nurses, and other health care providers
Discount Rate: $400/course
For medical trainees, including medical students, residents and fellows outside the U of M Global Medicine Pathway; retirees; active U.S. military personnel; health professionals from developing countries as defined by WHO; and University of Minnesota Global Medicine Pathway faculty
Complete Package: on or before April 30, 2019: $7,250
Complete Package: on or after May 1, 2019: $7,550
Includes up to 4 weeks of the annual In-Person Global Health Course, Complete Online Global Health Curriculum, and the U of M ASTMH CTropMed® Online Exam Review
University of Minnesota Faculty Rate: $596/course
CDC Employee Rate: Preapproved, full-time CDC employees are eligible for a discounted rate; contact the course director at firstname.lastname@example.org for information.
Institutions and Organizations Pricing: Volume discounts and customization options are available for your trainees. Learn more about pricing for institutions and organizations.