Applying to the Internal Medicine Residency Program
First-year appointments, which begin on June 24 of each year (with orientation activities two weeks prior), are available through the National Resident Matching Program (NRMP).
Applications are accepted through the Electronic Residency Application System (ERAS). American Medical Graduates should contact their dean's office for more information. International Medical Graduates should contact the Education Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG). A request for an ERAS application kit is available on the ECFMG website.
One of our rotation sites is the Minneapolis VA. The VA requires all male employees who are citizens to be registered with selective service. Due to this VA rule, we are unable to accept male applicants who have not registered between the ages of 18 and 26.
- A completed application form
- An official dean's letter from your medical school
- A minimum of three letters in support of your application from medical school faculty, preferably from your third and fourth-year clinical rotations, and should include a "chair's letter" from your school's department of medicine. Letters from all directors of all previous training programs
- Passing scores from the United States Medical Licensing Examination® (USMLE) Step I. Please include Step 2 if available. You may apply to our program having only taken Step 1. There is no minimum score requirement.
- A transcript from your medical school
- A recent photograph
Non-US Citizen/Non-Permanent Resident Information
- Be able to obtain a J-1 visa, EAD, or have resident alien status
- Pass the Clinical Skills Assessment (CSA) which includes English language skills
- Have passing scores on the first attempt of the United States Medical Licensing Examination® (USMLE). Step 1 is required to apply to the program, but please include Step 2 or 3 if available.
Our program does not sponsor H-1 visas.
There are no other special requirements in order to apply to our program. We are unable to disclose our selection criteria or process.
The deadline for applications is November 1.
If you have any further questions, please contact us:
Briar Duffy, MD
Residency Program Director
Department of Medicine
University of Minnesota Medical School
420 Delaware Street SE, MMC 284
Minneapolis, MN 55455