Scope of Training

submenu

First Year

The first year of fellowship is spent in three-month clinical rotations at four different sites. The four hospitals provide the community with nearly 2,000 beds and therefore provide a unique wealth and diversity of clinical experience. Fellows have the opportunity to see and manage patients with all types of respiratory diseases and critical illnesses on an inpatient and outpatient basis, as well as to provide consultative care to a wide spectrum of medical and surgical patients including those in critical care units. Special procedures including fiberoptic brochoscopy, tube thoracostomy, polysomnograpy, exercise training, Swan-Ganz and arterial catheter placement also are included in this training. Interested fellows are exposed to laser bronchoscopy.

UMMC: 3 months (2 months MICU, 1 month Pulmonary Consults)

MVAHCS: 3 months (3 months Consultative Pulmonary)

HCMC: 3 months (1 month Pulmonary, 1 month MICU HCMC, 1 month MICU - Private Hospital (Methodist)

Regions: 3 months (3 months Combned Pulmonary/MICU)

Second and Third Years (Total)

The second and third years of fellowship training have a strong research focus (approximately 70% time), while the remaining time (30%) is spent on clinical duties including outpatient clinic (one half day per week), a surgical critical care rotation and other clinical electives. The training program emphasizes research training with a strong orientation toward preparing fellows for a career in academic medicine. Research opportunities are available in cell and molecular biology, biochemistry, basic and applied physiology, clinical trials, and epidemiology. Clinical research opportunities are available in lung transplantation, treatment of obstructive airways diseases, new aspects of mechanical ventilation, critical care medicine, sleep medicine, bioethics, cystic fibrosis and control of ventilation. Fellows attend relevant university graduate level courses.

Over the past eight years, most fellows have pursued laboratory-based research projects. However, recognizing the importance of clinical research and the increasing need for scholarly clinical trials to evaluate new modes of therapy (gene replacement, etc), some of our fellows have entered a pathway for rigorous training in clinical investigation. Third, we have identified a variety of faculty members within and outside of our Division who wish to serve as mentors for fellows in this research track. These faculty and their interests are listed here.

Recent fellows have compiled an outstanding record of external research support. Within the last five years, trainees have been awarded four NIH National Research Service Awards, two Parker B. Francis Awards, four national American Lung Association Awards, three local American Lung Association Awards, two Allen and Hanburys Awards, and one American College of Chest Physicians Boehringer Ingelheim Research Fellowship.

Clinical Practice Continuity/Electives

  • ½ Day/Week Continuity Clinic
  • 1 Month Surgical ICU
  • 1 Month Sleep Clinic
  • 1 Month TB Clinic/ Radiology/PFTs
  • 1-2 Months Consult/Cystic Fibrosis
  • 1-2 Months Medical ICU
  • 1 Month Transplant/Cystic Fibrosis/Airway Management

The balance of time is usually reserved for research.