Publications on Tunneling Nanotubes (TNTs)
- E Lou, S Fujisawa, A Morozov, A Barlas, Y Romin, Y Dogan, AL Moreira, K Manova-Todorova, MAS Moore. Tunneling Nanotubes Provide a Unique Conduit for Intercellular Transfer of Cellular Contents in Human Malignant Pleural Mesothelioma. PLoS ONE 7(3):e33093. Epub 2012 Mar 9.
- E Lou, S Fujisawa, A Barlas, Y Romin, K Manova-Todorova, M.A.S. Moore, S Subramanian. Tunneling Nanotubes: A new paradigm for studying intercellular communication and therapeutics in cancer. Communicative & Integrative Biology 5(4): 399-403, July 2012. doi: 10.4161/cib.20569.
- E Lou, S Subramanian, CJ Steer. Pancreatic Cancer: Modulation of KRAS, MicroRNAs and Intercellular Communication in the Setting of Tumor Heterogeneity. Pancreas, November 2013; 42(8):1218-26. doi: 10.1097/MPA.0000000000000007.
- V Thayanithy, V Babatunde, EL Dickson, P Wong, S Oh, X Ke, A Barlas, S Fujisawa, Y Romin, AL Moreira, RJ Downey, CJ Steer, S Subramanian, K Manova-Todorova, MA Moore, E Lou. Tumor exosomes induce tunneling nanotubes in lipid raft-enriched regions of human mesothelioma cells. Experimental Cell Research, Epub ahead of print January 24 2014; pii: S0014-4827(14)00023-8. doi: 10.1016/j.yexcr.2014.01.014
- V Thayanithy, EL Dickson, C Steer, S Subramanian, E Lou. Tumor-stromal cross talk: direct cell-to-cell transfer of oncogenic microRNAs via tunneling nanotubes. Translational Research, Epub ahead of print May 24, 2014.
- J Ady, S Desir, V Thayanithy, R Vogel, A Moreira, R Downey, Y Fong, K Manova-Todorova, M Moore, E Lou.Intercellular communication in malignant pleural mesothelioma: 2 properties of tunneling nanotubes. Front. Physiol. doi: 10.3389/fphys.2014.00400.
- E Lou. Intercellular conduits in tumors: the new social network. Invited Spotlight article/editorial, Trends in Cancer 2(1): 3-5. January 1 2016.
Our abstracts on Tunneling Nanotubes (TNTs)
- Long-distance intercellular transport of microRNAs via tunneling nanotubes: Role in tumor-stroma interactions and malignant potential. Venugopal Thayanithy, Elizabeth L. Dickson, Subbaya Subramanian, Clifford J. Steer, Emil Lou. Poster presentation, AACR Annual Meeting 2014, Abstract #3599.
- Tunneling Nanotubes: a new approach to studying intercellular communication in aggressive solid tumor malignancies. Emil Lou, Victor Babatunde, Sho Fujisawa, Afsar Barlas, Andre L. Moreira, Venugopal Thayanithy, Subbaya Subramanian, Robert Downey, Katia Manova-Todorova, and Malcolm A.S. Moore. Poster Presentation, AACR Annual Meeting 2013, Abstract #1528.
- Novel mechanisms of chemoresistance in ovarian cancer: the role of tunneling nanotubes E. L. Dickson, V. Thayanithy, P. Wong, D. G. Teoh, P. A. Argenta, R. Isaksson Vogel, C. Steer, M. A. Geller, S. Subramanian and E. Lou. Society of Gynecologic Annual Meeting, March 22-25, 2014
- Tunneling nanotubes and intercellular communication: a novel approach to chemo-resistance in ovarian cancer Elizabeth L. Dickson, MD, Venugopal Thayanithy, PhD, Rachel Vogel, MS, Peter A. Argenta, MD, FACS, Melissa Geller, MD, MS, Subbaya Subramanian, PhD, Emil Lou, MD, PhD. Oral presentation at the Annual Meeting of the American College of Surgeons. Abstract reference: Journal of the American College of Surgeons, September 2013, Volume 217, Issue 3, Supplement, Page S72
- Tunneling nanotubes and intercellular communication: Differences between platinum-resistant and platinum-sensitive ovarian cancer. Elizabeth Louise Dickson, Venugopal Thayanithy, Rachel Isaksson Vogel, Peter Argenta, Melissa Ann Geller, Subbaya Subramanian and Emil Lou. Journal of Clinical Oncology, 2013 ASCO Annual Meeting Abstracts. Vol 31, No 15_suppl (May 20 Supplement), 2013: e22007
- Tunneling nanotubes facilitate intercellular communication and trafficking between mesothelioma cells. Emil Lou, Alexei Morozov, Andre L. Moreira, Katia Manova-Todorova, Malcolm A.S. Moore. Oral presentation, Minisymposium on Signaling in Tumor Cell Migration and Invasion, AACR Annual Meeting 2010, Abstract #4814.
Cancer biology and therapeutics
- E Lou, S Subramanian, CJ Steer. Pancreatic Cancer: Modulation of KRAS, MicroRNAs and Intercellular Communication in the Setting of Tumor Heterogeneity. Pancreas 42(8):1218-26, 2013.
- S Gholami, CH Chen, E Lou, LJ Belin, S Fujisawa, VA Longo, NG Chen, M Gönen, PB Zanzonico, AA Szalay, Y Fong. Vaccinia virus GLV-1h153 in combination with 131I shows increased efficiency in treating triple-negative breast cancer. FASEB J. 2014 Feb;28(2):676-82. doi: 10.1096/fj.13-237222. Epub 2013 Nov 1.
- S Gholami, C-H Chen, LJ Belin, E Lou, S Fujisawa, C Antonacci, A Carew, NG Chen, M De Brot, PB Zanzonico, AA Szalay and Y Fong. Vaccinia virus GLV-1h153 is a novel agent for detection and effective local control of positive surgical margins for breast cancer. Breast Cancer Research (15)2:R26, March 18, 2013.
- E Lou and EJ Shillitoe. Modifications to polymerase chain reaction protocols to enhance amplification of a G-C rich intergenic region of Herpes Simplex Virus Type-1. Annual Review & Research in Biology 3(1): 42-51, 2013.
- S Gholami, C-H Chen, E Lou, M De Brot, S Fujisawa, L Belin, A Marano, NG Chen, AA Szalay, Y Fong.Vaccinia Virus GLV-1h153 is Effective in Treating and Preventing Metastatic Triple-Negative Breast Cancer. Annals of Surgery, 2012 Sep;256(3):437-445.
- A Morozov, R Downey, J Healey, A Moreira, E Lou, A Franceschino, Y Dogan, R Leung, M Edgar, M LaQuaglia, RG Maki, MAS Moore. Benign Mesenchymal Stem Cells in Human Sarcomas. Clinical Cancer Research 16(23): 5630-40, December 1 2010.
- N Girard, E Lou, CG Azzoli, R Reddy, M Robson, M Harlan, I Orlow, Y Yatabe, M Ladanyi, A Viale, MG Kris, G Riely, V Miller, RJ Klein, K Matsuo, W Pao. Analysis of genetic variants in never-smokers with lung cancer facilitated by an Internet-based blood collection protocol: a preliminary report. Clinical Cancer Research, 16(2):755-63 (Epub 2010 Jan 12), January 15, 2010.
- C Griffith, S Noonan, E Lou, EJ Shillitoe. An oncolytic mutant of herpes simplex virus type-1 in which replication is governed by a promoter/enhancer of human papillomavirus type-16. Cancer Gene Therapy, 14: 985-993, December 2007.
- E Lou, RM Kellman, R Hutchison, and EJ Shillitoe. Clinical and pathological features of the murine AT-84 orthotopic model of oral cancer. Oral Diseases, 9(6): 305-312, November 2003.
- E Lou, RM Kellman, EJ Shillitoe. Effect of herpes simplex virus type-1 on growth of oral cancer in an immunocompetent, orthotopic mouse model. Oral Oncology, 38(4): 349-356, June 2002.
- E Shillitoe and E Lou. Oncolytic viruses. In: Cancer and Gene Therapy. Editor: Paul Hermonat. Transworld Research Network, ISBN 81-7895-25201. pp. 67-84. 2007.
- E Lou and S Subramanian. Tunneling Nanotubes: Intercellular conduits for direct cell-to-cell communication in cancer. In Intercellular Communication in Cancer. Springer Publishing, November 2015.
Clinical research publications
- E Lou, KP Peters, AL Sumrall, A Desjardins, DA Reardon, ES Lipp, JE Herndon II, A Coan, L Bailey, S Turner, HS Friedman, JJ Vredenburgh. Phase II trial of upfront Bevacizumab and Temozolomide for unresectable or multifocal glioblastoma. Cancer Medicine 2(2): 185-95, April 2013; Epub January 24, 2013.
- D Reardon, JE Herndon II, KB Peters, A Desjardins, A Coan, E Lou, AL Sumrall, S Turner, ES Lipp, S Sathomsumetee, JN Rich, JH Sampson, AH Friedman, ST Boulton, DD Bigner, HS Friedman, JJ Vredenburgh. Bevacizumab continuation beyond initial bevacizumab progression among recurrent glioblastoma patients. British Journal of Cancer, October 4 2012. doi: 10.1038/bjc.2012.415.
- E Lou, A Sumrall, S Turner, K Peters, A Desjardins, JJ Vredenburgh, R McLendon, JE Herndon II, F McSherry, J Norfleet, HS Friedman, DA Reardon. Bevacizumab therapy for adults with recurrent/progressive meningioma: a retrospective series. Journal of Neurooncology, 2012 August;109(1):63-70. Epub 2012 Apr 26.
- DA Reardon, JE Herndon 2nd, K Peters, A Desjardins, A Coan, E Lou, A Sumrall, S Turner, S Sathornsumetee, JN Rich, S Boulton, ES Lipp, HS Friedman, JJ Vredenburgh. Outcome after bevacizumab clinical trial therapy among recurrent grade III malignant glioma patients. Journal of Neurooncology 107(1): 213-21, March 2012 (Epub ahead of print October 14 2011).
- E Lou, S Turner, A Sumrall, D Reardon, A Desjardins, KB Peters, JH Sampson, HS Friedman, J Vredenburgh. Bevacizumab-induced Reversible Posterior Leukoencephalopathy Syndrome and Successful Retreatment in a Patient with Glioblastoma. Journal of Clinical Oncology Vol. 29(28): e739-e742, October 1 2011.
- E Lou, J Marshall, M Aklilu, D Cole, D Chang,, and M Morse. A Phase II Study of Active Immunotherapy with PANVACTM or Autologous, Cultured Dendritic Cells Infected with PANVACTM after Complete Resection of Hepatic Metastases of Colorectal Carcinoma. Invited review, Clinical Colorectal Cancer, 5(5): 368-71, January 2006.
- E Lou. Oncolytic viral therapy and immunotherapy of malignant brain tumors: two potential new approaches of translational research. Annals of Medicine, 36(1): 2-8, January 2004.
- E Lou. Oncolytic herpes viruses as a potential mechanism for cancer therapy. Acta Oncologica, 42(7): 660-671, November 2003.
- E Lou. A Long Trail. Science-Next Wave online, Feature on MD-PhD training. http://nextwave.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/full/2003/10/15/5.
- E Lou. Xenotransplantation and the risk of transmission of porcine endogenous retroviruses. Clinical Microbiology Newsletter, 24(23): 175-179, December 1, 2002.
- E Lou. Bone Morphogenetic Proteins: An Overview of Therapeutic Applications. Orthopedics, 24(5): 504-509, CME quiz 510-511, May 2001.