Gastroenterology Fellowship Training Program
Our program is a three-year ACGME approved training program. The three-year program currently consists of five training sites (University of Minnesota Medical Center - Fairview, Minneapolis VA Health Care System, Hennepin County Medical Center, Regions Hospital, and Abbott-Northwestern Hospital), and 26 faculty members. We offer excellent training in all aspects of gastroenterology including standard GI procedures, biliary endoscopy, inflammatory bowel disease care, viral hepatitis, liver transplantation, and esophageal motility. The fellow receives a minimum of 18 months of clinical training and six months of research training during the three-year program. For most GI fellows, the program consists of two clinical years (first and third) and one research year (second year). However, the program is able to adapt to individual fellow’s needs for additional clinical or research training beyond the minimum requirements.
Applications for the Gastroenterology Fellowship 2014 will utilize ERAS. Our program requires all of the following support documents (see checklist):
- Current Curriculum Vitae
- Personal Statement
- Medical school transcripts (copies)
- Three (3) letters of recommendation
- A valid Education Commission on Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG) certificate (if you graduated from a medical school outside the United States or Canada). Graduates who are not United States Citizens or permanent residents must obtain a J-1 Visa from the ECFMG to qualify for a fellowship at the University of Minnesota
- Results of Part I and II (and III if completed) of the United States Medical Licensing
- Exam (USMLE)
- Medical School Dean’s Letter (optional)
- Residency Evaluations (optional)
If you are considered for an appointment, you will be asked to visit the program for a personal interview with the program director and selected faculty. Interviews will be conducted between September-October 2013. No interview will be granted without a completed application.
You can also e-mail our fellowship coordinator Bao Moua if you need more information about our programs.