Medical School, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI
Residency, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN
Dr. Baum is Professor of Medicine and Associate Chair of Clinical Quality, Dept of Medicine; Medical Director, Utilization Review, UMMC; Professor of Medicine, University of Minnesota . She has had numerous educational roles at the medical school including course director, membership on the Educational Council, and Special Assistant to the Dean. Dr. Baum specializes in quality improvement (QI) with a special interest in teamwork as a means to improve quality and safety in healthcare. Since 2011 she has overseen the QI efforts for the Department of Medicine. Dr. Baum is also the Director of the Minnesota TeamSTEPPS training resource center, and has overseen the certification of over 1000 Master Trainers from across the country in this evidence-based team training curriculum. Karyn is also the Medical Director of Utilization Management at the University, and in this role is familiar with issues including value-based purchasing, variation in care, overuse, misuse, and waste in healthcare. She is one of the founding board members for the Minnesota Alliance for Patient Safety, and has published and presented on quality, safety, and value-based medicine throughout the world. She reviews on a regular basis for journals including Academic Medicine, Health Affairs and Quality and Safety in Healthcare. Dr. Baum also continues to work as a Hospitalist at the University of Minnesota Medical Center-Fairview. She obtained her medical degree from the University of Michigan and her masters in education from the University of Southern California.
Awards & Recognition
- Department of Medicine Clinical Excellence Award, University of Minnesota (2008)
- Distinguished Reviewer, Journal of General Internal Medicine (2007)
- Development Award, University of Minnesota/Karolinska Institute Carlson Grant (2006)
- Teacher of the Year (FUMC), Fairview-University Medical Center Internal Medicine and Medicine/Pediatrics Residency Programs (2005)
- Early Distinguished Career Award, Minnesota Medical Foundation (2005)
- Fellow, American College of Physicians (2004)
- Associate Chair of Clinical Quality, University of Minnesota Department of Medicine
- Medical Director, Utilization Reviewer, University of Minnesota Medical Center
- Baum KD and Beard AS. Stepping up patient safety: Healthcare as a team sport. Invited article for Minnesota Physician, Vol. 25, no. 12, March 2012. Impact factor: N/A
- Duran-Nelson A, Baum KD, Weber-Main AM, and Menk J. The efficacy of peer-assisted learning across residencies for procedural training in dermatology. Journal of Graduate Medical Education, 2011
- Headrick LA, Shalaby M, Baum KD, Fitzsimmons AB, Hoffman KG, Hoglund PJ, Ogrinc O, and Thorne K. Exemplary care and learning sites: Linking the continual improvement of learning and the continual improvement of care. Academic Medicine, 2011; 86(11): e6-e7.
- Weaver SJ, Rosen MA, Salas E, Baum KD, & King HB. Integrating the science of team training into continuing education: Evidence-based recommendations. Journal of Continuing Education in the Health Professions, 2010; 30(4):208-20.
- Reifsteck SW and Baum KD. Getting Physicians Involved in Patient Safety. MGMA Connexxion September 2009: 47-50.
University of Minnesota Medical Center
American Board of Internal Medicine