Craig Weinert, MD, MPH
Associate Professor of Medicine, Division of Pulmonary, Allergy, Critical Care and Sleep Medicine
Associate Professor of Medicine, Division of Pulmonary, Allergy, Critical Care and Sleep Medicine
Co-Medical Director, Medical ICU
Pulmonologist and Critical Care Physician
Medical School, George Washington University School of Medicine, Washington, DC
Internal Medicine Residency, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC
Pulmonary and Critical Care Fellowship, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN
MPH in Epidemiology, University of Minnesota School of Public Health, Minneapolis, MN
- Sedation of patients requiring mechanical ventilation
- Post-ICU outcomes including psychiatric symptoms
- Physician-patient communication
- Tele-ICU systems
- Randomized trials of patient-controlled sedation
- Recovery from critical illness
- Tele-ICU patient management
- Hospitalized patients’ interpretation of physician progress notes
- S Fortis, C Weinert G Beilman. ICU admissions from the emergency department on holidays and weekends. Accepted for publication at Clinical Pulmonary Medicine, October 2016.
- L Chlan, D Skaar, M Tracy, S Hayes, B Hetland, K Savik, C Weinert. Intensive Care Unit patients can safely self-administer sedative therapy during mechanical ventilatory support. Accepted for publication at American J of Critical Care. October 2016.
- L. Kastman Breuch, A. Bakke, K. Thomas-Pollei, L. Mackey, C. Weinert. Toward audience involvement: Extending audiences of written physician notes in a hospital setting. 2016. Written Communication, An International Quarterly for Research, Theory, and Application. 33(4) 418–451DOI: 10.1177/0741088316668517.
- B Hetland, R Lindquist, C Weinert, C Peden-McAlpine, K Savik, L Chlan. The influence of music, anxiety, and sedative exposure on weaning trials in patients undergoing mechanical ventilation. Am J Critical Care, accepted for publication, May 12, 2016.
- Moughrabieh M and Weinert C. Rapid deployment of international tele-ICU services in war-torn Syria. Annals American Thoracic Soc. Published January, 2016 as DOI: 10.1513 AnnalsATS.201509-589OT.
- Weinert, C. Giving doctors’ daily progress notes to hospitalized patients and families to improve patient experience. Am J Medical Quality. October 9, 2015 as doi:10.1177/1062860615610424
- Elmufdi, F and Weinert, C. Failure to Rescue in the Rapid Response Team Era. 2015. 22(5):223-229. Clinical Pulmonary Medicine.
- Elliott D, Davidson JE, Harvey MA, Bemis-Dougherty A, Hopkins RO, Iwashyna TJ, Wagner J, Weinert C, Wunsch H, Bienvenu OJ, Black G, Brady S, Brodsky MB, Deutschman C, Doepp D, Flatley C, Fosnight S, Gittler M, Gomez BT, Hyzy R, Louis D, Mandel R, Maxwell C, Muldoon SR, Perme CS, Reilly C, Robinson MR, Rubin E, Schmidt DM, Schuller J, Scruth E, Siegal E, Spill GR, Sprenger S, Straumanis JP, Sutton P, Swoboda SM, Twaddle ML, Needham DM.Care: Engagement of Non-Critical Care Providers and Survivors in a Second Stakeholders Meeting. Crit Care Medicine 42:2518-26.
- Spyridon F, Weinert C, Bushinski R, Greiner-Koehler A, Beilman G. 2014. A health system-based critical care program with a novel tele-ICU: Implementation, cost and structure details. J Am Coll Surgery. 219: 676-683.
- L Chlan, C Weinert, A Heiderscheit, MF Tracy, D Skaar, J Guttormson, K Savik. 2013. Effects of patient-directed music intervention on anxiety and sedative exposure in critically ill patients receiving mechanical-ventilatory support: a randomized clinical trial. JAMA 309:2335-44.
- Iyegha U, Asghar J, Habermann E, Broccard A, Weinert C, Beilman G. 2013. Intensivists improve outcomes and compliance with process measures in critically ill patients. J American Coll Surgeons 216: 363-72.
- Rayner S, Weinert C, Peng H, Jepsen S, Broccard AF. 2012. Dexmedetomidine as adjunct treatment for alcohol withdrawal in the ICU. Ann Intensive Care. 23;2(1):12-16.
- A Wilson and C Weinert. Psychiatric and Neurologic Recovery after Critical Illness. 2012. Clinical Pulmonary Medicine. 19:78-83.
- Needham DM, Davidson J, Cohen H, Hopkins RO, Weinert C, Wunsch H, Zawistowski C, Bemis-Dougherty A, Berney SC, Bienvenu OJ, Brady SL, Brodsky MB, Denehy L, Elliott D, Flatley C, Harabin AL, Jones C, Louis D, Meltzer W, Muldoon SR, Palmer JB, Perme C, Robinson M, Schmidt DM, Scruth E, Spill GR, Storey P, Render M, Votto J, Harvey MA. 2011. Improving long-term outcomes after discharge from ICU: Report from a stakeholders’ conference. Critical Care Medicine.40:502-9.
- Nunally, M, Jaeschke R, Bellingan G, Lacroix, J, Mourvillier B, Rodriguez-Vega G, Rubertsson S, Vassilakopoulus T, Weinert C, Zanotti-Cavazzoni S, Buchman, T. 2011. Targeted Temperature Management in Critical Care: A Report and Recommendation from Five Professional Societies. Critical Care Medicine. 39:1-13
- Chlan L, Weinert C, Skaar D, Tracy M. 2010. Patient-controlled sedation: A novel approach to management of sedative therapy with mechanically ventilated patients. Chest. 138:1045-103.
- Guttormson J, Chlan L, Weinert C, Savik K. 2010. Factors influencing nurse sedation practices with mechanically ventilated patients. A US national survey. Intensive and Critical Care Nursing. 26:44-50.
- Partnership for Excellence in Critical Care Writing Committee: Robertson T, Mann H, Hyzy R, Rogers A, Douglas I, Waxman A, Weinert C, Alapat, P, Guntupalli K, Buchman T. 2008. Multicenter Implementation of Evidence-Based Protocols: Spontaneous Breathing Trials. Critical Care Medicine. 36:2753-2762.
- Al Aloul B, Adabag A, Goussous T, Weinert C. 2008. Medical residents’ self-reported adherence to guidelines during placement of central venous catheters. Infection Control Hospital Epidemiol. 29:86-88.
- C Weinert, S Kethireddy, S Roy. Opioids and infections in the Intensive Care Unit: Should clinicians and patients be concerned? 2008. Journal of Neuroimmune Pharmacology. 3:218-229.
- Weinert C and Mann H. 2008. The science of implementation: changing the practice of critical care. Current Opinion in Critical Care. 14:460-465.
- Weinert C and Sprenkle M. 2008. Post-ICU consequences of patient wakefulness and sedative exposure during mechanical ventilation. Intensive Care Medicine. 34:82-90
- Longo B, Weinert C, Fountain K. 2007. Implementation of medical research findings through insulin protocols: Initial findings from an ongoing study of document design and visual display. J Tech Writing Communications 37:435-452.
- Weinert C, Calvin A. 2007. Epidemiology of sedation and sedation adequacy for mechanically ventilated patients in a medical and surgical intensive care unit. Crit Care Med 35: 393-401.
- Weinert, C and Meller, W. 2007. Medical posttraumatic stress disorder: catching up to the cutting edge in stress research. Critical Care. 11:118.
- Weinert C and W Meller. 2006. Epidemiology of depression and antidepressant therapy after acute respiratory failure. Psychosomatics. 47:399-407
- Weinert C, J. Billings, R Ryan and D. Ingbar. 2006. Academic career development of pulmonary and critical care physician-scientists. Am J Resp Crit Care Med. 173:23-31
- LeClaire, M, Oakes, M, Leupker, R, Kahn, J, Weinert, C. 2005. Communication of prognostic information for critically ill patients. Chest. 128:1728-1735.
- Kane, RL, Bershadsky, B, Weinert, C, Huntington, S, Riley, W, Bershadsky, J and Ravdin, J. 2005. Estimating the patient-care costs of teaching in a teaching hospital. Am J Med.118: 767-772.
- Weinert C. 2005. Epidemiology and treatment of psychiatric conditions that develop after critical illness. Curr Opin Crit Care. 11:376-380.
- Weinert, C and McFarland, L. 2005. The state of intubated ICU patients: Development of a two-dimensional sedation rating scale for critically ill adults. Chest. 126:1883-90
- Koreth R, Weinert C, Weisdorf D and Key N. 2004. Measurement of bleeding severity: A critical review. Transfusion. 44:6-5-617.
- Chlan, L, Savik K, and Weinert C. 2003. Development of a shortened state anxiety scale from the Spielberger State-Trait Anxiety Inventory (STAI) for patients receiving mechanical ventilatory support. J Nurs Measurement. 11: 283-293.
- Weinert C, W Marinelli, C Gross. 2003. Impact of randomized trial results on acute lung injury ventilator therapy in teaching hospitals. Am J Resp Crit Care Med. 167:1304-1309.
- Weinert, C., Chlan, L. and C. Gross. 2001. Sedating critically ill patients: Factors affecting nurses’ delivery of sedative therapy. Am J Critical Care. 10:156-167.
- Weinert, C. 2001. Epidemiology of psychiatric medication use in patients recovering from critical illness at a long-term acute care facility. Chest 119:547-553
- Nelson, B, Weinert C, C. Bury, W. Marinelli, C. Gross. 2000. Intensive care unit drug use and subsequent quality of life in acute lung injury patients. Crit Care Med. 28:3626-3630.
- Van der Kloot, T., Blanch, L, Youngblood, M, Weinert, C, Adams, A, Shapiro, R, Marini, J, Nahum, A. 2000. Recruitment maneuvers in three experimental models of acute lung injury: effect on lung volume and gas exchange. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 161:1485-1494.
- Weinert, C, Arnett, D, Jacobs, D, Jr., Kane, RL. 2000. The relationship between persistence of abdominal symptoms and a successful outcome after cholecystectomy. Archives of Internal Medicine. 160:989-995.
- Marinelli, W, Weinert, C, Gross, C, Knoedler, J, Bury, C, Kangas, J, Leatherman, J. 1999. Right heart catheterization in acute lung injury: An observational study. Am J of Respir Crit Care Med. 160: 69-76.
- Weinert, C, Gross, C, Kangas, J, Bury, C, and Marinelli, W. 1997. Health-related quality of life after acute lung injury. Am J of Respir Crit Care Med. 156:1120-1128.
Fairview Northland Medical Center;Transplant Center
- Critical Care Medicine
Intensive Care; General Pulmonary