Snigdha Sagar, MD
Assistant Professor of Medicine
Osmania Medical College - Hyderbad, India
Howard University, - Washington, DC
Mayo Clinic - Rochester, MN
P: (612) 624-0999
F: (612) 625-2174
Division of Pulmonary, Allergy, Critical Care and Sleep Medicine
420 Delaware Street, SE, MMC 276 (Pulmonary) MMC 434 (Allergy)
Minneapolis, MN 55455
After receiving my medical degree, I completed my residency in Internal medicine in 2000. During my residency at Howard University, I was exposed to biomedical research and I became interested in pursuing clinical research for a career. However, for immigration reasons, I took a primary care position in a medically underserved rural area for a few years. From there, I became a research fellow in cardiovascular physiology at the Mayo Clinic. After spending two years doing clinical research, I completed a fellowship at the Mayo Clinic in sleep medicine and began to publish research reports. Subsequently, I then took a faculty position at the University of Minnesota in the Division of Pulmonary/Critical Care/Sleep Medicine. Meanwhile, I have continued to collaborate with Dr. Virend Somers at Mayo Clinic. Sleep medicine is a developing field, with ample opportunity for clinical research. Though obstructive sleep apnea’s (OSA) significant association with cardiovascular disease is well known, the pathophysiological mechanisms involved remain unclear. My plan is to pursue new biomarkers and other clinical indicators than will permit these pathophysiological mechanisms to become clearer. My aim is then to initiate a clinical research program that will use these biomarkers for early detection and, eventually, treatment of OSA.
Positions and Honors
- Primary Care Physician at Southern Metro Medical Clinics (Internal Medicine) - Le Seuer, MN
- Research at Mayo Clinic (Caridovascular Physiology) - Rochester, MN
- Supplemental Consultant at General Clinical Research Center (Internal Medicine) - Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN
- Assistant Professor of Medicine at Division of Pulmonary/Critical Care/Sleep Medicine (Sleep Medicine) - University of Minnesota Medical Center - Fairview, Minneapolis, MN
Academic and Professional Honors
- American Board of Internal Medicine
- American Board of Sleep Medicine
- Fellow of American Academy of Sleep Medicine
- Study pertaining to effects of changes in body fat composition on sleep and cardiovascular physiology (Mentor: Somers VK, MD)
- Study involving the relationship between sleep and acute myocardial infarction (Mentor: Somers VK, MD)
- Comparative analysis of cardiac inflammatory markers in Asian Indians vs. Caucasians (Mentor: Somers VK, MD)
- Minnesota Medical Foundation Pusalavidyasagar (PI) 03/01/12-2/28/14
Determination of Endogenous Levels of Hydrogen Sulfide and Nitric Oxide in patients with Obstructive Sleep Apnea
- Singh P, Somers VK, Romero-Corral A, Sert-Kuniyoshi FH, Pusalavidyasagar S, Davison DE, Jensen MD Effects of weight gain and weight loss on regional fat distribution. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition. 2012 Jul 3.
- Singh P, Peterson TE, Sert Kuniyoshi FH, Glenn JA, Davison DE, Romero-Corral A, Pusalavidyasagar S, Jensen MD, Somers V. Leptin Signaling in Adipose Tissue: Role in Lipid Accumulation and Weight Gain. Circulation Research. 2012 Jun 22.
- Sert-Kuniyoshi FH, Squires RW, Korenfeld YK, Somers VK, Pusalavidyasagar S, Caples SM, Johnson LL, Thomas RJ, Lopez-Jimenez F. Screening for Obstructive Sleep Apnea in Early Outpatient Cardiac Rehabilitation: Feasibility and Results. Sleep Med. 2011 Oct; 12(9):924-7.
- Adachi T, Sert-Kuniyoshi FH, Calvin AD, Singh P, Romero-Corral A, van der Walt C, Davison DE, Bukartyk J, Konecny T, Pusalavidyasagar S, Sierra-Johnson J, Somers VK. Effect of weight gain on cardiac autonomic control during wakefulness and sleep. Hypertension. 2011 Apr; 57(4):723-30.
- Sert Kuniyoshi FH, Singh P, Gami AS, Garcia-Touchard A, van der Walt C, Pusalavidyasagar S, Wright RS, Vasquez EC, Lopez-Jimenez F, Somers VK. Post-Myocardial Infarction Patients with Obstructive Sleep Apnea Exhibit Impaired Endothelial Function. Chest. 2011 Feb 24
- Romero-Corral A, Sert-Kuniyoshi FH, Sierra-Johnson J, Orban M, Gami A, Davison D, Singh P, Pusalavidyasagar S, Huyber C, Votruba S, Lopez-Jimenez F, Jensen MD, Somers VK. Modest Visceral Fat Gain Causes Endothelial Dysfunction in Healthy Humans. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2010; 56:662-666.
- Kuniyoshi FH, Pusalavidyasagar S, Singh P, Somers VK. Cardiovascular consequences of obstructive sleep apnea. Indian J Med Res. 2010 Feb; 131:196-205.
- Pusalavidyasagar S, Kuzniar TJ, Olson EJ, Morgenthaler TI. Periodic limb movements in complex sleep apnea syndrome. Open Sleep Journal 2009, 2(5):43-47.
- Kuniyoshi FH, Garcia-Touchard A, Gami AS, Romero-Corral A, van der Walt C, Pusalavidyasagar S, Kara T, Caples SM, Pressman GS, Vasquez EC, Lopez-Jimenez F, Somers VK. Day-night variation of acute myocardial infarction in obstructive sleep apnea. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2008; 52(5):343-6.
- Kuzniar TJ, Pusalavidyasagar S, Gay PC, Morgenthaler TI. Natural course of complex sleep apnea: A retrospective study. Sleep Breath. 2008; 12(2):135-9.
- Pusalavidyasagar S, Olson EJ, Gay PC, Morgenthaler TI. Treatment of complex sleep apnea syndrome: A retrospective comparative review. Sleep Med. 2006; 7(6):474-9.