Veronika Bachanova, MD
Hematologist / Oncologist
- Blood and Marrow Transplant
- Masonic Cancer Clinic
Komenius University, Bratislavia, Slovakia
Henry Ford Hospital, Detroit, MI (Internal Medicine)
University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN (Hematology, Oncology)
E: Kristin Blomquist
F: (612) 625-6919
Division of Hematology, Oncology and Transplantation
420 Delaware Street SE, MMC 480
Minneapolis, MN 55455
As a hematologist at the University of Minnesota Medical Center, I treat patients with blood cancers such as leukemia and lymphoma. I care deeply for my patients and strive to provide them with the best care and access to new drugs and innovative clinical treatments. I primarily specialize in hematopoietic stem cell transplantation, a procedure in which a patient’s blood-forming stem cells are replaced with healthy stem cells capable of reconstituting the blood and immune systems of the patient. In my clinical practice, I every day witness the life-saving potential of transplantation and the incredible capability of the immune system to eliminate cancer. As a result, my clinical research is focused on the development of clinical trials that systematically examine new approaches to utilizing the immune system to cure leukemia and lymphoma.
- Stem Cell Transplantation
- Phase 1 Trials
- Chair Lymphoma/CLL Interdisciplinary Site Team at University of Minnesota
- Co-director of Leukemia Tissue Bank at University of Minnesota
- Co-director Inpatient Hematology Unit Fairview University of Minnesota Medical Center
- Member, Society of Immunotherapy of Cancer (2012-present)
- Member, American Society of Clinical Oncology (2006-present)
- NIH Career development KL2 Scholar (2012-2015)
- American Society of Hematology Clinical Scholar Award (2012)
- Ernest McCulloch and James Till Award for best basic science article by a new investigator Biology of Blood and Marrow Transplantation (2010)
- Clinical Investigator CALGB Award and Grant (2008)
- American Society of Hematology Clinical Research Training Institute Workshop Award (2007)
- Magnusson E, Cao Q, Linden MA, Frolich J, Anand V, Burns LJ, Bachanova V. Hematopoietic Cell Transplantation for Mantle Cell Lymphoma: Predictive Value of Pretransplant Positron Emission Tomography/Computed Tomography and Bone Marrow Evaluations for Outcomes. Clin Lymphoma Myeloma Leuk. 2013 Nov. 15.
- Bachanova V, Marks DI, Waller EK, Wiernik PH, Weisdorf DJ. Ph+ ALL patients in first complete remission have similar survival after reduced intensity and myeloablative allogeneic transplantation: impact of tyrosine kinase inhibitor and minimal residual disease. Leukemia. 2013 Aug 30. doi: 10.1038/leu.2013.253. [Epub ahead of print]
- Bachanova V, Connors JM. Hodgkin lymphoma in pregnancy. Curr Hematol Malig Rep 2013; 8(3):211-7. doi: 10.1007/s11899-013-0163-4.
- Marks DI, Woo KA, Zhong X, Appelbaum FR, Bachanova V, Barker JN, Brunstein CG, Gibson J, Kebriaei P, Lazarus HM, Olsson R, Perales MA, Pidala J, Savani B, Rocha V, Eapen M. Unrelated umbilical cord blood transplant for adult acute lymphoblastic leukemia in first and second complete remission: a comparison with allografts from adult unrelated donors. Haematologica. 2013 Sep 20. [Epub ahead of print]
- Bachanova V, Burke MJ, Yohe S, Cao Q, Sandhu K, Singleton TP, Brunstein CG, Wagner JE, Verneris MR, Weisdorf DJ. Unrelated cord blood transplantation in adult and pediatric acute lymphoblastic leukemia: effect of minimal residual disease on relapse and survival. Biol Blood Marrow Transplant 2012; 18:963-8. PMCID: PMC3631589
- Bachanova V, Sandhu K, Yohe S, Cao Q, Burke MJ, Verneris MR, Weisdorf D. Allogeneic hematopoietic stem cell transplantation overcomes the adverse prognostic impact of CD20 expression in acute lymphoblastic leukemia. Blood 2011; 117:5261-3. PMCID: PMC3109547.
- Bachanova V, Burns LJ. Hematopoietic cell transplantation for Waldenström macroglobulinemia. Bone Marrow Transplant 2012; 47:330-6. PMCID: n/a
- Bachanova V, Burns LJ, McKenna DH, Curtsinger J, Panoskaltsis-Mortari A, Lindgren BR, Cooley S, Weisdorf D, Miller JS. Allogeneic natural killer cells for refractory lymphoma. Cancer Immunol Immunother 2010; 59:1739-44. PMCID: PMC2655654