Shernan Holtan, MD
Assistant Professor of Medicine
University of Nebraska
E: Robin Whalen-Bruha
P: (612) 625-9604
F: (6120 625-6919
Division of Hematology, Oncology and Transplantation
420 Delaware Street SE, MMC 480
Minneapolis, MN 55455
Dr. Holtan is Assistant Professor of Medicine in the Division of Hematology, Oncology, and Transplantation, where she serves as a hematologist focusing on leukemia, BMT, and long-term survivorship. She also serves as a clinical/translational investigator focused on personalized immune monitoring and inflammation resolution. Dr. Holtan brings a strong track record of multidisciplinary research to the University of Minnesota. Since her hematology/oncology fellowship at Mayo Clinic, she has been studying the parallels of pregnancy and transplantation medicine in collaboration with physicians and scientists in obstetrics, maternal fetal medicine, immunology, and bioinformatics.
Honors, Awards, Organizations
- Board certified in internal medicine, oncology, and hematology
- CIBMTR, member of Late Effects, Immunobiology, and GVHD working committees
- OHSU Red Rose Award, 2013
- Edward T. Creagan Award for Outstanding Contribution to Melanoma Research, 2011
Areas of Expertise
- Allogeneic hematopoietic cell transplantation
- Graft versus host disease
- Long-term survivorship
- Personalized immune monitoring
- Inflammation resolution in GVHD
- Immunology of pregnancy
- Medical Research Foundation, OHSU: Angiogenic hormones in post-hematopoietic cell transplantation immune responses
- BIRCWH K12, OHSU: Sex-based differences in allogeneic immune responses
- Women’s Health Research Program, Mayo Clinic: Fetomaternal tolerance: Implications for development of novel immunologic cancer therapies
- DeCook LJ, Thoma MD, Huneke TJ, Johnson ND, Wiegand RA, Patnaik MM, Litzow MR, Hogan WJ, Porrata LF, and Holtan SG. Impact of lymphocyte and monocyte recovery on the outcomes of allogeneic hematopoietic SCT with fludarabine and melphalan conditioning. Bone Marrow Transplant. 2013 May;48(5):708-14.
- Holtan SG, Newell LF, Chandran R, Markovic SN, Porrata LF. Repairing damaged goods: mesenchymal stromal cell therapy for secondary failure of hematopoiesis post-allogeneic hematopoietic cell transplant. J Stem Cell Res Ther 2:e109. doi:10.4172/2157-7633.1000e109.
- Thoma MD, Huneke TJ, Decook LJ, Johnson ND, Wiegand RA, Litzow MR, Hogan WJ, Porrata LF, and Holtan SG, Peripheral blood lymphocyte and monocyte recovery and survival in acute leukemia post myeloablative allogeneic hematopoietic stem cell transplant. Biol Blood Marrow Transplant. 2012 Apr;18(4):600-7.
- Holtan SG, Creedon DJ, Thompson MA, Nevala WK, Markovic SN. Expansion of CD16-negative natural killer cells in the peripheral blood of patients with metastatic melanoma. Clinical & Developmental Immunology; 2011:316314.
- Holtan SG, Hogan WJ, Elliott MA, et al. CD34+ cell dose and establishment of full donor chimerism at day +100 are important factors for survival with reduced-intensity conditioning with fludarabine and melphalan before allogeneic hematopoietic SCT for hematologic malignancies. Bone Marrow Transplant. 2010 Dec;45(12):1699-703.
- Holtan SG, Mansfield AS, Creedon DJ, Nevala WK, Haluska P, Leontovich AA et al. An organ system based approach to prognosis in advanced melanoma. Front Biosci (Elite Ed) 2012; 4: 2823-33.
- Mansfield AS, Holtan SG Grotz TE, Allred JB, Jakub JW, Erickson LA et al. Regional immunity in melanoma: immunosuppressive changes precede nodal metastasis. Mod Pathol 2011; 24(4): 487-94.
- Holtan SG, Dronca RS, Nevala WK, Porrata LF, Mansfield AS, Block MS et al. The dynamic human immune response to cancer: it might just be rocket science. Immunotherapy 2011; 3(9): 1021-4.
- Jacobs NL, Holtan SG, Porrata LF, Markovic SN, Tefferi A, Steensma DP. Host immunity affects survival in myelodysplastic syndromes: Independent prognostic value of the absolute lymphocyte count. American Journal of Hematology 2010; 85(3): 160-3.
- Holtan SG, Spittell PC. Constrictive pericarditis due to graft-vs-host disease. Mayo Clin Proc 2010; 85(12): e90.
- Holtan SG, Creedon DJ, Haluska P, Markovic SN. Cancer and pregnancy: parallels in growth, invasion, and immune modulation and implications for cancer therapeutic agents. Mayo Clin Proc 2009; 84(11): 985-1000.
- Holtan SG, Santana-Davila R, Dewald GW, Khetterling RP, Knudson RA, Hoyer JD et al. Myelodysplastic syndromes associated with interstitial deletion of chromosome 5q: clinicopathologic correlations and new insights from the pre-lenalidomide era. American Journal of Hematology 2008; 83(9): 708-13.