Philip McGlave, MD
Professor of Medicine
- Blood Disorders (Hematology -- Benign)
- Blood Cancer
- Blood and Marrow Transplantation
- Blood and Marrow Transplant
- Masonic Cancer Clinic
University of Illinois College of Medicine, Chicago, IL
University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN
University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN
E: Rosellen Fairall
P: (612) 624-4440
F: (612) 625-6919
Division of Hematology, Oncology and Transplantation
420 Delaware Street SE, MMC 480
Minneapolis, MN 55455
Dr. McGlave received his M.D. in 1974 from the University of Illinois. He received internal medicine residency training and hematology subspecialty training at the University of Minnesota. He also received training in bone marrow transplantation as a Visiting Fellow at the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center in Seattle, Washington. Dr. McGlave founded the Adult Bone Marrow Transplant Program at the University of Minnesota.
Dr. McGlave’s clinical interest is the treatment of malignant and nonmalignant hematologic disorders including aplastic anemia, leukemia, lymphoma, multiple myeloma, myelodysplasia, and blood and marrow transplantation. His research interests focus on experimental therapy for malignant and non-malignant hematologic disorders including stem cell transplantation, immunotherapy, and gene transfer.
- Member, American Society of Clinical Investigation
- Director, Division of Hematology, Oncology and Transplantation, University of Minnesota Medical School (1998)
- Cecil J. Watson Land Grant Chair in Medicine, University of Minnesota Medical School
- Deputy Director, University of Minnesota Cancer Center (2007)
- Director, Human Stem Cell Laboratory, University of Minnesota (1992-1997)
- Best Doctors in America® (2011-2012, 2013)
- Mpls.St.Paul Magazine Top Doctors (2012, 2015_
- U.S. News & World Report 2012 Top Doctor
- Alpha Omega Alpha
- Alexander J. Kefalides Prize for Leukemia Research
- Mpls St. Paul Magazine "Top Doctor" (2012, 2014)
- Brunstein CG, Miller JS, Cao Q, McKenna DH, Hippen KL, Curtsinger J, Defor T, Levine BL, June CH, Rubinstein P, McGlave PB, Blazar BR, Wagner JE. Infusion of ex vivo expanded T regulatory cells in adults transplanted with umbilical cord blood: safety profile and detection kinetics. Blood. 2011 Jan 20;117(3):1061-70
- Long-Boyle JR, Green KG, Brunstein CG, Cao Q, Rogosheske J, Weisdorf DJ, Miller JS, Wagner JE, McGlave PB, Jacobson PA. High fludarabine exposure and relationship with treatment-related mortality after nonmyeloablative hematopoietic cell transplantation. Bone Marrow Transplant. 2011 Jan;46(1):20-6.
- Godal R, Bachanova V, Gleason M, McCullar V, Yun GH, Cooley S, Verneris MR, McGlave PB, Miller JS. Natural killer cell killing of acute myelogenous leukemia and acute lymphoblastic leukemia blasts by killer cell immunoglobulin-like receptor-negative natural killer cells after NKG2A and LIR-1 blockade. Biol Blood Marrow Transplant. 2010 May;16(5):612-21.
- Verneris MR, Brunstein CG, Barker J, MacMillan ML, DeFor T, McKenna DH, Burke MJ, Blazar BR, Miller JS, McGlave PB, Weisdorf DJ, Wagner JE. Relapse risk after umbilical cord blood transplantation: enhanced graft-versus-leukemia effect in recipients of 2 units. Blood. 2009 Nov 5;114(19):4293-9.
- Tomblyn MB, Arora M, Baker KS, Blazar BR, Brunstein CG, Burns LJ, Defor TE, Dusenbery KE, Kaufman DS, Kersey JH, Macmillan ML, McGlave PB, Miller JS, Orchard PJ, Slungaard A, Tomblyn MR, Vercellotti GM, Verneris MR, Wagner JE, Weisdorf DJ. Myeloablative hematopoietic cell transplantation for acute lymphoblastic leukemia: Analysis of graft sources and long-term outcome. J Clin Oncol. 2009; 27(22): 3634-41. PMID: 19581540
- Arora M, Weisdorf DJ, Spellman SR, Haagenson MD, Klein JP, Hurley CK, Selby GB, Antin JH, Kernan NA, Kollman C, Nademanee A, McGlave P, Horowitz MM, Petersdorf EW. HLA-identical sibling compared with 8/8 matched and mismatched unrelated donor bone marrow transplant for chronic phase chronic myeloid leukemia. J Clin Oncol. 2009 Feb 17. [Epub ahead of print]
- Brunstein CG, Cantero S, Cao Q, Majhail N, McClune B, Burns LJ, Tomblyn M, Miller JS, Blazar BR, McGlave PB, Weisdorf DJ, Wagner JE. Promising progression-free survival for patients low and intermediate grade lymphoid malignancies after nonmyeloablative umbilical cord blood transplantation. Biol Blood Marrow Transplant. 2009; 15:214-22. PMID: 19167681
- Brunstein CG, Barker JN, Weisdorf DJ, Defor TE, McKenna D, Chong SY, Miller JS, McGlave PB, Wagner JE. Intra-BM injection to enhance engraftment after myeloablative umbilical cord blood transplantation with two partially HLA-matched units. Bone Marrow Transplant. 2009 Jan 12. PMID: 19139736
- Jacobson P, Green K, Rogosheske J, Brunstein C, Ebeling B, DeFor T, McGlave P, Weisdorf D. Highly variable mycophenolate mofetil bioavailability following nonmyeloablative hematopoietic cell transplantation. J Clin Pharmacol. 2007; 47:6-12.
- McKenna DH Jr, Sumstad D, Bostrom N, Kadidlo DM, Fautsch S, McNearney S, Dewaard R, McGlave PB, Weisdorf DJ, Wagner JE, McCullough J, Miller JS. Good manufacturing practices production of natural killer cells for immunotherapy: a six-year single-institution experience. Transfusion. 2007; 47:520-8.