Kalpna Gupta, PhD
Professor of Medicine
E: Robin Whalen-Bruha
P: (612) 625-9604
F: (6120 625-6919
Division of Hematology, Oncology and Transplantation
420 Delaware Street SE, MMC 480
Minneapolis, MN 55455
Dr Gupta received her Ph.D. degree in Biochemistry in 1984 from the All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi, India. She subsequently did her Post-doctoral training in the Hematology, Oncology and Transplantation Division at the University of Minnesota.
Dr Gupta's research interest is in vascular biology and molecular mechanisms of angiogenesis. Her work encompasses opioid and VEGF signaling with regard to angiogenesis-dependent pathophysiological conditions including cancer and retinopathy.
- Weber ML, Vang D, Velho PE, Gupta P, Nath KA, Crosson JT, Hebbel RP, Gupta K. Morphine promotes renal pathology in sickle mice. Int J Nephrol 2012, 5:109-18. PMID: 22888269 .
- Luk K, Boatman S, Johnson KN, Dudek OA, Ristau N, Vang D, Nguyen J, Gupta K. Influence of morphine on pericyte-endothelial interaction: Implications for antiangiogenic therapy. J Oncol. 2012; 2012:458385. PMID:22315595
- Manning BM, Hebbel RP, Gupta K, Haynes CL. Carbon-fiber microelectrode amperometry reveals sickle-cell-induced inflammation and chronic morphine effects on single mast cells. ACS Chem Biol. 2012 Mar 16;7(3):543-51. PMID:22217155
- Cain DM, Vang D, Simone DA, Hebbel RP, Gupta K. Mouse models for studying pain in sickle disease: Effects of strain, age, and acuteness. Br J Haematol. 2012 Feb;156(4):535-44. PMID: 22171826
- Fujioka N, Nguyen J, Chen C, Li Y, Pasrija T, Niehans G, Johnson KN, Gupta V, Kratzke RA, Gupta K. Morphine-induced epidermal growth factor pathway activation in non-small cell lung cancer. Anesth Analg. 2011 Dec;113(6):1353-64.
- Mitra R, Guo Z, Milani M, Mesaros C, Rodriguez M, Nguyen J, Luo X, Clarke D, Lamba J, Schuetz E, Donner DB, Puli N, Falck JR, Capdevila J, Gupta K, Blair IA, Potter DA. CYP3A4 mediates growth of estrogen receptor-positive breast cancer cells in part by inducing nuclear translocation of phospho-Stat3 through biosynthesis of (±)-14,15-epoxyeicosatrienoic acid (EET). J Biol Chem. 2011 May 20;286(20):17543-59.
- Dudek A, Gupta K, Ramakrishnan S, Mukhopadhyay D. Tumor angiogenesis. J Oncol. 2010;2010. pii: 761671. Epub 2010 Sep 19.
- Bodempudi V, Ohlfest JR, Terai K, Zamora EA, Vogel RI, Gupta K, Hebbel RP, Dudek AZ. Blood outgrowth endothelial cell-based systemic delivery of antiangiogenic gene therapy for solid tumors. Cancer Gene Ther. 2010 Dec;17(12):855-63.
- Kohli DR, Li Y, Khasabov SG, Gupta P, Kehl LJ, Ericson ME, Nguyen J, Gupta V, Hebbel RP, Simone DA, Gupta K. Pain-related behaviors and neurochemical alterations in mice expressing sickle hemoglobin: modulation by cannabinoids. Blood. 2010 Jul 22;116(3):456-65. Note that Figure 6E from this publication is on the cover of this issue of the journal. An editorial commentary, titled “New era dawns on sickle pain,” is also published in this issue on pages 311-12.
- Elikkottil J, Gupta P, Gupta K. The analgesic potential of cannabinoids. J Opioid Manag. 2009 Nov-Dec;5(6):341-57. Review. Erratum in: J Opioid Manag. 2010 Jan-Feb;6(1):14.