Gregory Vercellotti, MD, FACP
Professor of Medicine
Hematologist / Oncologist
- Blood Cancer
- Blood and Marrow Transplantation
- Blood Disorders (Hematology -- Benign)
- Blood and Marrow Transplant
- Masonic Cancer Clinic
University of Illinois, Chicago
University of Wisconsin, Madison
University of Minnesota (Hematology / Oncology)
E: Barbara Porwit
P: (612) 624-5620
F: (612) 625-6919
Division of Hematology, Oncology and Transplantation
420 Delaware Street SE, MMC 480
Minneapolis, MN 55455
Dr. Vercellotti received his medical degree from the University of Illinois College of Medicine. He was an intern and resident in internal medicine at the University of Wisconsin, Madison and had a fellowship in Hematology-Oncology at the University of Minnesota, Minneapolis.
Dr. Vercellotti’s research focuses on inflammation and endothelial cell biology, the role of inflammation in vaso-occlusion in sickle cell anemia, the role of infection in atherosclerosis and vascular disease, and oxidative stress and vascular disease. His clinical interests range from coagulation and bleeding disorders, platelet disorders, red cell disorders, porphyria, bone marrow transplant, leukemia, lymphoma, and myeloma to immunologic deficiencies.
- Mpls.St. Paul Magazine "Top Doctor" (2008-2014)
- U.S. News & World Report 2012 Top Doctor
- Alpha Omega Alpha
- Fairview-University Outstanding Clinician of the Year (2009)
- Golden Key International Honor Society
- Minnesota Monthly "Best Doctors" (2014)
- Shah NB, Vercellotti GM, White JG, Fegan A, Wagner CR, Bischof JC. Blood-Nanoparticle Interactions and in Vivo Biodistribution: Impact of Surface PEG and Ligand Properties. Mol Pharm. 2012 Jul 23. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 22668197
- Sjeklocha LM, Park CW, Wong PY, Roney MJ, Belcher JD, Kaufman DS, Vercellotti GM, Hebbel RP, Steer CJ. Erythroid-specific expression of β-globin from Sleeping Beauty-transduced human hematopoietic progenitor cells. PLoS One. 2011; 6(12):e29110. PMID:22216176
- Black SM, Benson BA, Idossa D, Vercellotti GM, Dalmasso AP. Protection of porcine endothelial cells against apoptosis with interleukin-4. Xenotransplantation. 2011; 18(6):343-54. PMID: 22168141
- Kang L, Yamada S, Hernandez MC, Croatt AJ, Grande JP, Juncos JP, Vercellotti GM, Hebbel RP, Katusic ZS, Terzic A, Nath KA. Regional and Systemic Hemodynamic Responses Following the Creation of a Murine Arteriovenous Fistula. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol. 2011; 301(4):F845-51. PMID: 21697243
- Shenoi MM, Shah NB, Griffin RJ, Vercellotti GM, Bischof JC. Nanoparticle preconditioning for enhanced thermal therapies in cancer. Nanomedicine (Lond). 2011 Apr;6(3):545-63.
- Juncos R, Juncos L, Hebbel RP, Vercellotti GM, Katusic ZS, Nath KA. Selective enhancement of contractions to α1-adrenergic receptor activation in the aorta of mice with sickle cell disease. J Cardiovasc Pharmacol. 2011 Feb;57(2):263-6.
- Beckman JD, Chen C, Nguyen J, Thayanithy V, Subramanian S, Steer CJ, Vercellotti GM. Regulation of heme oxygenase-1 protein expression by miR-377 in combination with miR-217. J Biol Chem. 2011 Feb 4;286(5):3194-202.
- Sheng WS, Hu S, Nettles AR, Lokensgard JR, Vercellotti GM, Rock RB. Hemin inhibits NO production by IL-1β-stimulated human astrocytes through induction of heme oxygenase-1 and reduction of p38 MAPK activation. J Neuroinflammation. 2010 Sep 7;7:51.
- Nagy E, Eaton JW, Jeney V, Soares MP, Varga Z, Galajda Z, Szentmiklósi J, Méhes G, Csonka T, Smith A, Vercellotti GM, Balla G, Balla J. Red cells, hemoglobin, heme, iron, and atherogenesis. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2010 Jul;30(7):1347-53.
- Belcher JD, Vineyard JV, Bruzzone CM, Chen C, Beckman JD, Nguyen J, Steer CJ, Vercellotti GM. Heme oxygenase-1 gene delivery by Sleeping Beauty inhibits vascular stasis in a murine model of sickle cell disease. J Mol Med. 2010 Jul;88(7):665-75.