Claudio Brunstein, MD, PhD
Hematologist / Oncologist
- Blood and Marrow Transplantation
- Blood and Marrow Transplant
Faculade de Medicina, University Federal do Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil
Hospital de Clinicas de Porto Alegere, Port Alegere, Brazil (Internal Medicine)
Hospital de Clinicas de Porto Alegere, Port Alegere, Brazil (Clinical Oncology)
University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN (Hematology/Oncology, Bone Marrow Transplantation)
E: Carol Taubert
P: (612) 624-9604
F: (612) 625-6919
Division of Hematology, Oncology and Transplantation
420 Delaware Street SE, MMC 480
Minneapolis, MN 55455
Dr. Brunstein received his M.D. in 1990 from the Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil. He completed internal medicine residency training and subspecialty training in clinical oncology in Brazil. He subsequently did his PhD in Medicine doing research in lung cancer. In 1998, he started a Fellowship in Hematology and Transplantation at the University of Minnesota. During that time his interests shifted toward stem cell biology and bone marrow transplantation, and he did a Bone Marrow Transplant Fellowship at the University of Minnesota. He joined the Faculty in 2004 and works primarily on the Adult Blood and Marrow Transplantation service.
- Clinical Director, Blood and Marrow Transplantation Program (2012-present)
- Medical Director, Unrelated Donor Transplantation Program (2007-present)
- Member, American Society of Hematology (1999-present)
- Member, American Society for Blood and Marrow Transplantation (2005-present)
- The Robert A. Good New Investigator Award, American Society of Blood and Marrow Transplantation (2009)
- Transplantation Travel Award, American Society of Blood and Marrow Transplantation (2009)
- Outstanding Academic Mentor Award, University of Minnesota Medical School (2008)
- Award of Recognition, University of Minnesota Masonic Cancer Center (2008)
- Ustun C, Bachanova V, Shanley R, Macmillan ML, Majhail NS, Arora M, Brunstein C, Wagner JE, Weisdorf DJ. Importance of Donor Ethnicity/Race Matching in Unrelated Adult and Cord Blood Allogeneic Hematopoietic Cell Transplantation. Leuk Lymphoma. 2013 May 6. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 23647059
- McClune BL, Defor T, Brunstein C, Vogel RI, Majhail NS, Bachanova V, Burns LJ, Slungaard A, Weisdorf DJ. Reduced intensity allogeneic haematopoietic cell transplantation for chronic lymphocytic leukaemia: related donor and umbilical cord allografting. Br J Haematol. 2012; 156:273-275.
- Ramirez P, Wagner JE, Defor TE, Eide CR, Miller JS, Weisdorf DJ, Brunstein CG. CXCR4 expression in CD34+ cells and unit predominance after double umbilical cord blood transplantation. Leukemia. 2013; 27:1181-1183.
- Scaradavou A, Brunstein CG, Eapen M, Le-Rademacher J, Barker JN, Chao N, Cutler C, Delaney C, Kan F, Isola L, Karanes C, Laughlin MJ, Wagner JE, Shpall EJ. Double unit grafts successfully extend the application of umbilical cord blood transplantation in adults with acute leukemia. Blood. 2013; 121:752-758.
- Fuchs E, O'Donnell PV, Brunstein CG. Alternative transplant donor sources: is there any consensus? Curr Opin Oncol. 2013; 25:173-179.